X

Centennial TimelineCentennial Timeline

1898
 

The Municipal District (M.D.) of Sturgeon No. 90 consists of the former Statute Labor District No. 230 (1898) and Statute Labor District No. 45 (and Fire District) formed in 1896. The area was settled long before as it is situated on Treaty 6 territory, the traditional lands of the Michel Band located in what is now known as the area of Villeneuve. Villeneuve served as a member of the Legislative Assembly of the Northwest Territories from 1892 to 1902. Statute Labor and Fire District No. 45 consisted of the area north of the city of Edmonton, such as St. Albert, Namao, Lamoureux, Morinville, Villeneuve, Riviere Qui Barre, Calahoo, Alcomdale, Mearns and part of Legal.

1911 - 1917
 

Statute Labor District No. 230 included the areas of Gibbons, Amelia, Bon Accord, Coronado, Fedorah, and Waugh. This area was known as Local Improvement District 28-5-4 and Local Improvement District No. 548.

1918
 

The Municipal District of Sturgeon No. 548 was formed January 1st, 1918 with the office located on the farm of Fabriel Morris.

1919
 

The former Statute Labor and Fire District No. 45 was then formed in a municipality in 1919 to be known as the M.D. of Ray No. 549. The areas of Picardville, Vimy, Legal, and Busby were incorporated into the M.D. of Hazelwood No. 549.

1942 - 1943
 

The year 1942 depicted another change in the municipal administration of these areas. At the first meeting of the new council, the name of the Municipality was changed to the M.D. of Sturgeon No. 90. The Municipal District of Ray No. 549, and Hazelwood No. 579 were amalgamated in 1943 and said areas were known as the Municipal District of Morinville No. 91, with the office located at Morinville.

1954
 

This union of M.D. of No. 91 remained until 1954, when larger municipal units were introduced by the Provincial Government and this union then became known as the Municipal District of Sturgeon River No. 90 with the office in Fort Trail, Edmonton. The boundaries were set to form boundaries with the Sturgeon School Division No. 24.  During the six years of this structure, the Provincial Government introduced the County system for rural municipalities.

1961
 

In 1961, the Municipal District of Sturgeon No. 90 changed status and became the county of Sturgeon No. 15. Pursuant to the County act, after being administered for four years as a County, a plebiscite was held to determine if the majority were in favor of continuing with County administration or reverting to the former system of administration.

1965
 

In 1965, pursuant to the County Act, after four years of administration as a County, proprietary electors were entitled to request a plebiscite to see if the majority were in favor of continuing with the County administration or reverting to the former system of administration. The plebiscite was held in the spring of 1965 and the County’s administration was discontinued and the area reverted to the former Municipal District of Sturgeon No. 90, and the Sturgeon School Division No. 24 status.

1997
 

The Municipal District of Sturgeon No. 90 became known as Sturgeon County (named after the Sturgeon River) on April 23, 1997 when Minister of Municipal Affairs, Hon. Iris Evans, signed the Order-in-Council.  
Credit: Story of Rural Municipal Government in Alberta, 1909-1969; Rural Municipal Government in Alberta 1983-1998