Sturgeon County - Protective Services

Protective ServicesProtective Services

Protective Services

The Protective Services department is committed to providing Sturgeon County residents, visitors and community partners with an effective emergency and enforcement service through professional response and education.


Protective Services FAQProtective Services FAQ

Questions? Feel free to contact the Sturgeon County Protective Services Department by Phone: 780-939-8400

The new Sturgeon County Protective Services is located at 54509 Range 252. The building, south of Highway 37, is home to Enforcement Services, Animal Control and the District of Namao Fire Department.

The contact number for Animal Control is 780-939-8419. The hours for Animal Control Bylaw are 8:30 a.m to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday. Should there be an emergency after hours please contact your local RCMP.

If there is an attack by a domestic animal and injuries result, this would constitute an emergency. A found dog or cat would not. Barking dogs would not be an emergency. If you find and decide to contain an animal after hours, either transport to Edmonton Humane Society or be prepared to house until Animal Control working hours.

Sturgeon County Animal Control bylaw deals with domestic animals, cats and dogs. If you have problems with other animals, please contact Agriculture Services. If there is roadkill on Sturgeon County roads, please contact Transportation Services 780-939-8252.

A written statement is required to ensure the elements of the offence are met and the complaint valid.

Yes, Sturgeon County has an after-hours answering service between 4:30 p.m. and 8:30 a.m. that allows residents to report non-emergency type items to such departments as Enforcement, Transportation or Utilities. Please call 780-939-4321 or toll free at 1-866-939-9303.

No, however residents are asked to use caution and ensure fires extinguished.

Only Class A materials can be burned. This includes but not limited to wood, branches, grass, leaves, paper, cardboard etc

This is allowed, however there is a process for approval. Contact the Sturgeon County Planning and Development Department to confirm if a demolition permit is required or not. When this is completed, then a fire permit may be applied for. A member of Sturgeon County Emergency Services must visit the site to confirm what is being burned and if it is safe to do so before the Fire Permit will be approved. Click here to access to the full burning bylaw or Bylaw 1375/16

Sturgeon County Emergency Services annually conducts recruitment activities during the month of September. Information can be found here, and applications can be submitted to any Sturgeon County Fire Hall (Bon Accord, Calahoo, Namao, and Redwater). Those who have submitted their forms will be interviewed at the beginning of October. Successful applicants will be brought onto their respective department no later than mid October and commence a three (3)-month probationary period.

Community Peace Officers (CPO’S) are given specific powers and authorities from the Solicitor General of Alberta, to uphold and enforce certain Provincial Laws and Municipal Bylaws within Sturgeon County. CPO’s must not be confused with the RCMP or other Police Agencies, who have a much broader range of authority. The two groups do collaborate in partnership to ensure a safe community.

You can contact Sturgeon County Enforcement Services Monday to Friday between the hours of 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM at 780-939-8418. For after hours assistance, you may call 780-939-4321.

No, contact the RCMP for any noise complaints.

Discharging of guns or other firearms is prohibited on all highways, roads and road allowances, streets, lanes or other public places under the jurisdiction of Sturgeon County Bylaw (184-73).

Residents are permitted to operate Off Highway Vehicles on local Sturgeon County roadways provided they follow certain regulations, such as wearing a helmet and ensuring their vehicles are registered and insured. For a full list of the rules and regulations on Sturgeon County’s Off Highway Vehicle Bylaw (1047/04), click here