Sturgeon County > Services > Transportation & Engineering > Spring Drainage

Spring Drainage

The potential for spring flooding is dependent on four natural factors: snow, rainfall, soil moisture, and temperature. When warmer weather arrives, it is common to see water accumulate in ditches, ponds, and fields – it’s a natural part of the spring thaw. 

Transportation Services is accessible 24 hours a day to respond to road concerns.

After hours: 780-939-4321
When leaving a message, please include your name, phone number, and municipal address.

To prevent flooding and damage to our roads and infrastructure, County crews address problem areas before the spring thaw arrives. Crews proactively grade and remove snow from roads and other low-lying areas. They also open blocked culverts and clear channels to improve drainage. 

If you notice a drainage issue, call the County. Crews prioritize calls about spring drainage to protect our public infrastructure like roads and bridges and then address issues like blocked culverts or catch basins that may threaten private property.  

For more information on what landowners and the Province can do to help manage water, read the Government of Alberta’s Fact Sheet for Spring Run-off Flood Prevention

Together, we can keep our community safe by protecting our homes, roads, and public infrastructure. 

How to protect your home and property 

  • Be mindful of where you place snow when clearing your driveway, do not block culverts. 
  • Shovel snow away from your foundation, paying special attention to ground level windows and doors. 

  • Do not obstruct drainage swales with landscaping or sheds. 

  • Clean your eaves and point downspouts away from your home. Promote drainage away from your home.  

  • Check your sump pump. 


Homeowner’s Drainage Guide

Changes made to wetlands or a body of water on your property that may divert water or for the purpose of drainage must be approved by the Province of Alberta. This Water Act Essentials Fact Sheet explains some of the roles and responsibilities (Surface Drainage Bylaw 1558-21) and when to contact the Province. 

If you have a beaver dam on your property that is impacting drainage, contact Agricultural Services at 780-939-8349 or email