Sturgeon County > News & Events > Public Engagement > Cannabis Legalization

Cannabis Legalization

Cannabis Survey

The Federal Government introduced Bill C-45, known as the Cannabis Act, to legalize recreational cannabis in Canada; Cannabis became legal on October 17, 2018, , and provisions for consumption of cannabis products such as edibles, will be effective as of October 17, 2019. 

Over the past two years, we have connected with residents to talk about Cannabis Legalization through drop-in sessions, an online survey, public hearings, gathering feedback about consumption, production and distribution, and retail sales. Sturgeon County has developed bylaws to manage the legalization of cannabis in the best interests of our residents and businesses while also making the County attractive to businesses within this sector. Sturgeon County's bylaws were amended to allow and regulate cannabis developments based on the feedback that was received. 

Sturgeon County's Land Use Bylaw 1385/17 was amended by Bylaw 1436/19 to allow for certain cannabis related uses within Sturgeon County. Standard-sized and micro-sized production and distribution facilities are permitted in medium to heavy industrial areas and micro-sized production and disribution facilities are a discretionary use on agricultural parcels. Retail facilities are allowed in commercial areas. Additional regulations are in place for all of these uses, to minimize and manage the impacts of these facilities on surrounding land uses. 

A copy of Bylaw 1436/19 can be found here


Consuming Cannabis – What You Need to Know

Alberta has set the minimum age for purchase and consumption of cannabis at 18. Public smoking or vaping of cannabis in Alberta will be prohibited from any place where tobacco is restricted, and in the following places:

* On any hospital property, school property or child care facility property

* In or within a prescribed distance from:

  • a playground
  • a sport or playing field 
  • a skateboard or bicycle park 
  • a zoo
  • an outdoor theatre 
  • an outdoor pool or splash pad and; from any motor vehicles, with the exception of those being used as a temporary residence, such as a parked RV.

Next steps will involve monitoring other municipalities regulations and further public discussion regarding the land use bylaw that will look at everything from cannabis production facilities to storage and distribution.



For more information:

Hayley Wasylycia

Phone: 780-939-1307