Head to our event calendar!
Sturgeon County uses the social media networking site 'Twitter' to send important and timely information to stakeholders. Regular updates are posted and managed by County staff. If you would like to connect with Sturgeon County via Twitter, please click here.
Media inquiries can be directed to:
Senior Communications Officer, Corporate Communications
October 18, 2017
Morinville, AB - Following a tight election race in Division 3, the Returning Officers conducted a recount and has determined one change to candidate Matthew McLennan's numbers, leaving him with fewer votes.
October 17, 2017
Morinville, AB - Upon request and in accordance with the Local Authorities Election Act, the Returning Officer will be conducting a recount of Division 3.
October 16, 2017
Morinville, AB - The following are the Unofficial Election Results of the Sturgeon County Municipal Election.
September 26, 2017
Morinville, AB - 1,715 Sturgeon County residents participated in the 2017 Resident Satisfaction Survey between May 22 and July 14, 2017.
September 19, 2017
Sturgeon County, AB - Official List of Sturgeon County Candidates for the 2017 Election
Sturgeon County, AB - A speeding ticket was issued by a Sturgeon County Peace Officer to a driver exceeding the posted speed limit, while passing the Peace officer, on Sept. 15, 2017.
August 26, 2017
Sturgeon County, AB - The governments of Canada and Alberta recognize the importance of investing in infrastructure that encourages active lifestyles, improves community connections and helps preserve the environment.
August 22, 2017
Sturgeon County, AB
- Sturgeon County Council presented donations to two local seniors’ organizations, totaling $20,994.45 during the regular Council meeting on August 22, 2017.
- Sturgeon County Council awarded a total of $4,000 in scholarships to two local students, Travis Brenneis and Shawna McLaughlin, as part of the Dale MacMillan Memorial Scholarship.
July 12, 2017
- The Town of Morinville and Sturgeon County Intermunicipal Affairs Committee (IAC) met on July 4, 2017 and achieved a strong collective understanding of the proposed Morinville Community Recreation Facility plan, in particular with regards to the recently announced addition of a field house to be included as part of Phase 1 of the project.
July 7, 2017
- According to MoneySense's Best Places to Live Report, Sturgeon County is the fourth best place to live in Alberta, making it 60th in Canada out of 417 rated cities.
June 29, 2017
- On June 28, 2017, the Intermunicipal Affairs Committee (IAC) approved the Terms of Reference for the Annexation Negotiating Committee, which will negotiate the terms of the annexation of Sturgeon County lands by the City of St. Albert.
June 28, 2017
- Sturgeon County is teaming up with Edmonton Garrison to host an all-day Canada 150 celebration on Saturday, July 1.
June 2, 2017
- As part of the 2017 Municipal Election, Sturgeon County will be hosting an information session for residents interested in running as a candidate for municipal office.
May 25, 2017
- Sturgeon County's meeting management software vendor lost a portion of Council and Committee of the Whole (COW) meeting recordings over a two-year period as a result of technical issues.
May 8, 2017
- It doesn’t take long to go from wet to dry, and Sturgeon County’s Protective Services
Department is cautioning residents to be aware of an increased risk of fire caused by current dry conditions.
April 27, 2017
- During the regular Council meeting on April 25, Council approved allocating grant funding totaling $323,658.14 to Sturgeon County community groups and associations.
April 27, 2017
- Sturgeon County residents will see a 1.22 per cent property tax decrease after Sturgeon County Council approved Bylaw 1388/17 during the Regular Council Meeting, establishing the 2017 Taxation Rates.
April 20, 2017
- Gravel roads are thawing and additional precipitation has caused some treacherous, sloppy conditions causing some of the gravel roads to be impassable.
April 5, 2017
- Residents are invited to a public information session for the Northeast River Crossing (NERC) Functional Planning Study.
February 28, 2017
- Sturgeon County continues its excellence in Financial Reporting by winning the Canadian Award for Financial Reporting from the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) of the United States and Canada.
- On February 28, 2017, Mayor Tom Flynn of Sturgeon County and Mayor Nolan Crouse of the City of St. Albert, along with members of their respective Councils, signed a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) to begin negotiations on an adjustment to their common boundary.
February 10, 2017
- Sturgeon County has added nearly 1,000 new residents in the last five years, according to Statistics Canada's 2016 census.
January 10, 2017
-On January 9, 2017, the Community Services Advisory Board (CSAB) completed their selection process to choose four (4) Canada 150 Community Leaders.