Weed & Pest Control

Limited Control Area Agreement

Previously known as "No Spray Agreements"

Landowners who wish to restrict herbicide applications or mosquito larvae control from occurring on municipal lands adjacent to their property have the opportunity to enter into a Limited Control Area Agreement with Sturgeon County. These agreements were previously known as ‘No Spray’ Agreements. Aside from a change in their name, they operate the exact same way. Limited Control Area Agreements are only valid for the year that they are issued and must be renewed on an annual basis. Landowners are responsible for all weed and grass control on municipal lands for which their Limited Control Area Agreement applies.

Landowners can choose to complete an agreement that applies to the Sturgeon County Vegetation Management Program, the City of Edmonton Mosquito Control Program or both.

For additional information on the Sturgeon County Vegetation Management Program and Limited Control Area Agreements, please contact the Agriculture Services Department at 780-939-8325 or avest@sturgeoncounty.ca.

Pest Control

Through an external contractor, Agriculture Services provides information and pest control and removal of wild animals such as coyote and beaver. Information and assistance is also available for insect control and bug identification. Site visits can be arranged, or a specimen can be brought to the Agriculture Services Trailer, located adjacent from Sturgeon County Centre, for insect identification purposes.


January and February are breeding season and coyotes are hunting in search of food. When food supplies are limited, they experience a higher mortality rate and lower reproduction rates. Coyotes tend to be nocturnal, typically roaming at night looking for food; they are crafty hunters and will consume almost any type of food or small mammal including domestic pets.

Protect yourself and your pets from encounters with coyotes by following these tips:

  • Don’t leave pet food or garbage out
  • Secure your composting area with fencing to prevent wildlife access
  • Don’t let your pets run free; especially during the January-February coyote breeding season.

For more information please visit www.esrd.alberta.ca

For more information on grass, weed and pest control, please contact Agriculture Services at 780-939-8349.

Weed Control

Each municipality is required by provincial statutes or municipal by-laws to enforce the control of noxious and restricted weeds within their boundaries. Sturgeon County hires weed inspectors and licensed herbicide applicators in an effort to control the weed population.

During the summer, weed inspectors patrol the county ensuring residents are effectively controlling property weeds. Those that do not comply with the Grass and Weed Control Bylaw within the specified time will be issued a notification letter.Annual grass and weed control notices are sent to landowners of vacant and unsightly lots within multi-lot subdivisions. If landowners do not comply with the Grass & Weed Control bylaw within the specified time, Agriculture Services will take action at the cost of the landowner.

Do you need more information on grass/weed control in Sturgeon County? Please visit the brochures page.

Weed & Pest Control Policies

>> Vegetation Management Policy

>> Trail Maintenance Policy