Your Property Taxes

Property Tax Timeline: 2017

  • End of April: Council sets tax rates
  • May 26: Combined assessment & tax notices mailed
  • June 30: Property tax payments are due
  • July 25: Assessment complaints must be received
  • October 23: Supplementary assessment & tax notices mailed
  • November 30: Supplementary taxes due
  • December 22: Supplementary assessment complaints must be received.

Assessment and Tax Notices are mailed in mid May and taxes are due the last business day of June. If you do not receive your notice, please contact the Assessment and Tax Department without delay. Failure to receive a tax notice or loss of a tax notice will not be accepted as a reason for late payment.


Where do my taxes go?

Your property tax is made up of three components, including the municipal levy, the education levy and the seniors levy.

In 2017, for every residential property tax dollar, 59% pays for municipal services, 39.5% is collected on behalf of Alberta Education and 1.5% supports the seniors housing as operated by Homewood Housing in the towns within Sturgeon County and the City of St. Albert. Percentages are subject to change every calendar year.


Why do property taxes change year over year?

Taxes may change due to one or a combination of these factors:

• A change in the Sturgeon County annual budget or requisition requirements for municipal operations, or a provincial education.

• A change in assessment (market value) of more or less than the average.

If a property experiences a change in assessment above or below the average for the county, it will have a corresponding tax increase or decrease. This relationship is illustrated below.

Average assessed value change  Average municipal tax change
Higher than Average assessed value change Higher than Average municipal tax change
 Lower than Average assessed value change =  Lower than Average municipal tax change


A map showing the median change in assessment across Sturgeon County market areas for 2016 is available here.

Have more questions? Head to our FAQ page or contact assessment services via email.