Sturgeon County - Planning & Development Services

Development ServicesDevelopment Services

Development Services

The Development Support Services counter is open for in-person inquiries between 8:30 a.m. and  4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday.

Some staff continue to work at home and others are coming in to cover front counter inquiries and to take in applications.

Health and Safety protocols like physical distancing are in place to proactively protect the staff, families and residents from the spread of COVID-19.

Click here for more information on Sturgeon County’s COVID-19 response. 

We continue to receive applications (development permits; all safety code permits; subdivisions; amendments, compliance certificate requests, etc.) via Email, Fax, mail or the Sturgeon County Centre drop-box. For any other inquiries contact us via email, phone or fax.

Please leave a clear, detailed message with an email address and/or phone number. | Phone: 780 939-8275 | Fax: 780 939-2076

We appreciate your understanding as we all work together to protect the health of our communities.

The Development Services department aims to ensure development in Sturgeon County is thought-out, safe and reflective of Sturgeon County's vision and strategies. The Sturgeon County Planning & Development Department provides guidance the safety, health, occupancy, and use of buildings; and the licensing of businesses and business activities.

Development FAQDevelopment FAQ

The current Land Use Bylaw permits one per title parcel.

Depending which land use district your property is in (and the size of your property), it may be possible to apply for a secondary dwelling, a secondary suite, or farm help accommodation. For more details, first determine your property’s land use district using the online interactive map, then view the ‘permitted’ and ‘discretionary’ uses which you may apply for within the Land Use Bylaw. Got questions? We’re happy to help!

Yes, if the building is over 110 square feet requires both development and building permits.

Yes, always a building permit and development permit for any deck higher than 2 feet.

Only If the fence is higher than 6 feet in height will it require development permit.

Yes, if work includes structural alterations then building permit an/or electrical, plumbing and gas permits may be required otherwise no.

The Municipal Government Act allows for subdivision of property, however, the subdivision of land is not an unfettered right and may be subject to conditions. The best thing you can do is make an appointment to meet with a Planning Technician or a Planning Officer.

If your application was REFUSED, when you receive your decision letter (approximately 1 week after the meeting) you will have 14 days to register an appeal of the decision. If your application was APPROVED, you will receive your decision letter (approximately 1 week after the meeting) with the conditions of approval. You have one year to meet the condition of approval or 14 days to appeal a condition if you choose.

You have 1 year to complete the conditions, however, if you are unable to get it done you can come in and request an extension. You may be granted 1 extension for one additional year.

Yes, however, you will have to enter into a Memorandum of Agreement stating that you will remove the old house once the new house is complete. There is a $5,000 deposit that is required as well and will be refunded once the second residence has been removed and verified.

Any deposit OVER $5,000 will receive interest. The amount of interest is calculated by the Finance Department.

The Fee Schedule allows for a penalty equivalent of the permit fee – so the fees will be doubled if you start or complete your building without permits.

The development permit deals with the entire project and sets out conditions for the development (for instance setback and height requirements), whereas a Development Agreement is a legal agreement that Municipalities use to ensure that infrastructure and municipal improvements that are part of a development are constructed to County standards. A Development Agreement can also be used as a mechanism to endeavor to recover costs on a developer’s behalf for any oversizing of municipal improvements that they might be responsible for front ending.

Phase One is scheduled for completion in the Fall of 2017