100 Year Farm Family
Sturgeon County wants to recognize families who have been homesteading here for 100 years or more. Your family may be eligible for the 100 Year Farm Family Award. To qualify, submit your application with the following information:
- Proof your family has owned the land for at least one hundred consecutive years by supplying documentation and records of ownership to verify the history
- Verify that you are a direct descendant of the original homesteader
- Confirm that your family is currently farming the land
- Show that you reside on the original homestead quarter
Questions? Call Agricultural Services at 780-939-8349 or via email
The deadline has been extended to March 17.
2022 Farm Family Recipients
Excellence in Agriculture Award
Sturgeon County is proud of the achievements of its diverse and innovative agricultural sector and created this award to recognize individuals, families, businesses, and community groups involved in agricultural production, agricultural community groups or agricultural support services who demonstrate excellence in what they do- and help to improve the environment, local communities and the economy.
Examples of past award winners:
2BK Vegetable Farm: 2022 Excellence in Agriculture award recipient
We are looking for individuals, producers, agribusinesses, agritourism operators or community groups who demonstrate any of the following in their operations:
Technology and Innovation
Develop and/or provide unique solutions to existing challenge or opportunities in the agricultural sector – be it a physical technology, new approach to problem solving, communication or marketing, or the building or improvement of partnerships.
Community Engagement and Support
Engage with youth or others in the agricultural sector or to provide internship opportunities to those interested in becoming more involved in the agricultural sector.
Make efforts to improve environmental quality or to minimize the environmental impacts of their business or operations, or set an example to others on how environmental stewardship practices can be incorporated into a farm or business.
Who is eligible?
- Families and operators of all types and sizes of farms including grain and oilseed growers, livestock producers, greenhouses, market gardens and u-picks
- Businesses who support to the agricultural sector
- Businesses who process or add value to agricultural commodities
- Agri-tourism operators
- Individuals, community associations, groups and clubs
- Professional Photography Session
- Customized Artwork with commemorative plaque
- On-farm/ on-site catered meal for up to 12 people on a day of your choosing
- Recognition/ feature article on Sturgeon County website and social media
- Future consideration for nomination by the ASB for the BMO Farm Family Awards
Submit an Excellence in Ag nomination
Members of the public have the opportunity to submit applications or nominations from January 1 to February 15 annually. The Agricultural Service Board (ASB) reviews submissions and can make nominations. Up to three recipients are selected annually.