Sturgeon County has a responsible to ensure public and private properties are in compliance with the Alberta Weed Control Act and our Community Standards Bylaw. The Community Standards Bylaw FAQ can be found here.
Each year, Sturgeon County appoints Agricultural Inspectors.
Their job is to:
- Monitor all properties in Sturgeon County (private and public) for the presence of noxious or prohibited noxious weeds
- Monitor residential properties for the presence of excessively long or unsightly vegetation which is >15 cm in height
- Educate the public and landowners about regulated weed species
- Assist landowners in creating a plan to rid their properties of invasive species in the event of an infestation on their property
- Issue notices and compliance orders if required
The list of regulated weed species that Sturgeon County inspects for can be found here.
Spot an infestation? Let Us Know!
Throughout the growing season inspectors are available to respond to incoming weed reports or inquiries.
If you’d like to report a weed concern, or to find out which species are regulated under current legislation, you can contact Agriculture Services at (780) 939-8349 or by email.