Responsible Burning

A simple spark can start a fire. Depending on conditions, a fire can get out of control quickly and easily. Whether you are enjoying a backyard fire pit, burning brush or creating a smudge for livestock, make sure your fire is safe before you light it. Some fires require a fire permit and others do not.

In an emergency, every second counts.

Call 9-1-1 if it’s an emergency and you need Fire, Police, or EMS.

Types of Fire Permits

Fire permits for Burn Barrels and Incinerators are issued for one year from the date of application.

Garden/Yard Debris permits are for piles smaller than 12’L x 12’W x 6’H and are issued for 30 days at a time, year round.

Large brush piles, windrow piles and structure fires are piles larger than 12’L x 12’W x 6’H and are only permitted from
December 1st to March 31st. They require a site inspection from Emergency Services staff prior to a permit being issued. Permits are issued for 30 days or until March 31st and can be issued on site. These permits are not issued in multi lot subdivisions.

Do I need a permit for my fire pit? 

A Fire Permit is not required for an attended fire that is lit in an approved fire pit for recreation, cooking, or warming purposes.

Where can I get a fire permit?

You can apply for a fire permit here. Permits are also available at Sturgeon County Centre, Protective Services Headquarters or from your local area Councillor.
Failure to obtain a fire permit and/or the violation of any terms and conditions set out in their Fire Permit may result in a fine.

Fire Permit

Responsible Burning

All open fires and burning barrels except for campfires used for warming or cooking purposes, are permitted on lots larger than one acre.
It’s important to know what you can and can’t burn; and to make sure the fire is always under control and completely put out when you’re finished.

Along with getting your fire permit, there are a few things to remember:

  • Do not burn when winds are gusting higher than  15km per hour.
  • Make sure you have the tools – including sufficient water supply – to manage the fire.
  • Do not burn close to property lines or anything combustible
    (like a shed, trees, or fence).
  • Smoke must not impair visibility or cause discomfort to those nearby.
  • When you are done, make sure your fire is completely extinguished.


Fire permits will not be issued when a County-wide fire ban is in effect.
Tenants, lease-holders, and other non-owners wishing to obtain a fire permit must provide written permission from the landowner.

If you are interested in obtaining free Fire Smart hazard assessment booklets for your home and property, please contact
Sturgeon County Protective Services at

Burning FAQ

  • Am I allowed to burn down old derelict buildings on my property?

    Approval is required. Contact Planning and Development Department to confirm if a demolition permit is required. Once completed, you may apply for a large brush pile fire permit. A member of Sturgeon County Emergency Services will approve a Fire Permit after a mandatory site visit to confirm what will be burnt and if it is safe to proceed.

  • Do I need a permit to have a campfire?

    There is no need for a permit to have a campfire on your property. However, residents are asked to use caution and make sure fires are extinguished.

  • What materials am I allowed to burn when I receive a fire permit?

    Only Class A materials can be burned. This includes but is not limited to:

    • wood
    • branches
    • grass
    • leaves,
    • paper
    • cardboard
  • What Materials Are Prohibited to Burn?

    “Prohibited Debris” means any flammable waste that when burned, may result in the release of toxic substances into the atmosphere and includes but is not limited to:

    • Animal carcass and manure
    • Non-wooden material
    • Waste material from building or construction sites
    • Wood products containing substances for the purpose of preserving wood
    • Combustible material
    • Tires
    • Rubber or plastic
    • Used motor oil


If you’ve still got questions about what you’re allowed to burn, or if you’re having trouble getting a permit,
contact Sturgeon County Protective Services at