Accessory Dwelling Unit (Secondary, Garden and Garage Suites)

You need a development permit and a building permit for an accessory dwelling unit, such as a basement suite, garage suite or garden suite.

An accessory dwelling unit is a self-contained unit that is located either within or on the same parcel of land. These are in addition to the primary dwelling unit on the property.

Depending on your land use district, accessory dwelling units will have certain requirements. The maximum floor area for an accessory dwelling unit in the country residential (R1) and agriculture residential (AG) land use districts is 115 square metres (1,237 square feet). In all other residential land use districts, the maximum floor area for an accessory dwelling unit is 80 square metres (861 square feet).

Permit requirements for an accessory dwelling unit

We're Here to Help

Our customer service counter is open for in-person inquiries between 8:30 a.m. and  4:30 p.m. from Monday to Friday.

Planning and Development Services
9613 100 St.
Morinville, Alberta T8R 1L9
Phone: 780-939-8275