You need a building permit for most basement developments, such as adding rooms or finishing washrooms.
For basement suites, which includes most developments with a kitchen or those that are designed for renters or have separate access, please see accessory dwelling unit.
Permit requirements for a basement development
- Building permit application
- Map/drawing of proposed and existing rooms
- Room uses and dimensions
- Details of structural changes, if any
- Locations of smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Locations of doors and swings
- Locations and sizes of windows
- Electrical permit application, if applicable
- Plumbing permit application, if applicable
- Gas permit application, if applicable