Both decks and patios are open structures projecting from a building. Decks are at least 0.6 metres high while patios are less than 0.6 metres high.
Your deck, patio and all other buildings must be less than the maximum site coverage allowed for your lot. Generally, this is 40 per cent of your lot, but setbacks depend on your land use district.
You need a development permit and building permit for a deck, but do not need permits for a patio as long as it is within the minimum yard setbacks of your lot.
Permit requirements for decks
- Development permit application
- Building permit application
- Site plan with location of building and distances to property lines
- Land title certificate searched within 30 days prior to the application
- Abandoned oil well declaration application and map
- Alberta Transportation Roadside Development Permit Application (if proposed development is within 800 metres of a highway)
- Deck information
We're Here to Help
Our customer service counter is open for in-person inquiries between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. from Monday to Friday.
Planning and Development Services
9613 100 St.
Morinville, Alberta T8R 1L9