Building a Deck
Your porch or covered deck and all other buildings must be less than the maximum site coverage of your lot, which is 40 per cent in most cases. Setbacks will depend on your zoning.
If you have a deck that is under 0.6 m in height, it is considered a patio. Patios are developed surfaces that are less than 0.6 m in height. You do not need to apply for a permit as long as your patio is within the minimum yard setbacks of your lot.
Permit requirements for decks:
- Completed development permit application
- Completed building permit application
- Site plan with location of building and distances to property lines
- Land title certificate searched within 30 days prior to the application
- Abandoned Oil Well Declaration Application and Map
- Alberta Transportation Roadside Development Permit
(if proposed development is within 800m of highway)
- Deck Information