Farm Buildings

Farm buildings are used for the housing of livestock or the storage or maintenance of equipment, materials, or produce, and are exempt from requiring permits but still need to apply for an exemption. A farm building must meet the following requirements,

  • does not contain a residential occupancy;
  • is located on land used as a farm, is zoned as agricultural land, and directly supports the primary farm operation;
  • has a low occupant load, and;
  • is not used or occupied by persons other than the farmer(s), their immediate family, and/or their employees, and the building is used for
    • housing livestock;
    • storing, sorting, grading or bulk packaging primary agricultural products, or;
    • housing, storing or maintaining machinery associated with the operation of the farm on which it is located.

In order to qualify for this exemption, the building must be associated directly and only with the farm on which it is located.

Email us, ask a question or apply in person:

Planning and Development Services
9613-100 Street,
Morinville, Alberta
T8R 1L9
Hours: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Phone:  780-939-8275