Compliance Certificates

What is a Compliance Certificate?

A compliance certificate is a service provided by Sturgeon County to confirm that development on a property meets the Land Use Bylaw. Compliance certificates are usually requested by banks and other lending institutions when it comes to the sale or remortgaging of a house.

Compliance Review

The County will review the Real Property Report to determine if the property is compliant with the setback requirements and structures on the property.

  • If the property complies with the setback requirements, the Real Property Report will receive a Stamp of Compliance.
  • If some or all the buildings on the property were constructed prior to the 1969 Development Control Bylaw 100-69 or were permitted in terms of a previous Land Use Bylaw and do not meet the regulations of the current Land Use Bylaw, a Statement of Non-Conformance Letter will be issued.
  • If the development on the property does not comply with the regulations, a Statement of Non-Compliance will be provided, and the applicant will be notified and given the opportunity to resolve any issues.

A Statement of Non-Compliance will outline the steps you will need to take to bring your property into compliance with the support from Current Planning Development Services.

How do I request a compliance certificate?

A person may request a compliance review by submitting the following to Current Planning and Development Services:

  • A written request,
  • A payment of application fees ($180.00) and;
  • One original copy of a signed and stamped original Alberta Land Surveyor’s Real Property Report dated less than five years from the date of the Compliance Certificate request.

Requests can be made through email at or in-person.

Note: Faxed copies and illegible copies of real property reports/surveyor’s certificates are not acceptable. Older documents (such as a building location certificate or surveyor’s certificate or a Real Property Report) older than five years may be submitted with a sealed and/or commissioned affidavit stating there are no changes to the property as indicated on the document. If improvements have been made, it will not be accepted for a compliance certificate.


Get in Touch

Requests can be made through email or in-person.

Planning and Development Services
9613-100 Street,
Morinville, Alberta
T8R 1L9
Hours: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.