Provincial Election

The Provincial General Election has been called,
and Election Day is Monday, May 29, 2023.

Elections Alberta is responsible for running the Provincial Election. Sturgeon County is not involved in the Provincial Election process. However, we do want to ensure that all residents have the information they need to vote. Here are some answers to commonly asked questions and links to the Elections Alberta website for more information.

To be eligible to vote, you must be:

  • a Canadian citizen,
  • at least 18 years of age or will be that age on Election Day, and
  • ordinarily resident in Alberta.

Learn more about who can vote.

To vote, you must prove your identity and current address. To do this, you may:

  • Provide one piece of Government-issued photo ID, including your full name, current address, and photo
  • Provide two pieces of ID, both containing your full name, and with one that shows your current physical address. Note, P.O. Boxes are not accepted. Rural residents must bring ID that shows the legal land description or municipal address.
  • Have another registered elector in your voting area vouch for you
  • Have an authorized signatory complete an attestation form

Learn more about the ID required to vote in Alberta.

Eligible electors may vote on Election Day (Monday, May 29), at any Advance Voting Place or by Special Ballot (mail).

Learn more about when you can cast your ballot.

Use the Elections Alberta website to determine where your local polling station is located.

Sturgeon County has no further information on the locations or hours of operation for regular or advance voting stations.

Electors can choose when and where to vote from several different options: in person on Election Day, or during the Advance voting period, or by mail by requesting a Special Ballot.

Learn more about how to vote on the Elections Alberta website.

Pursuant section 7.6.10 of the Sturgeon County Land Use Bylaw, election signs are permitted uses in all land use districts and no development permits are required provided that:

  • such signs are removed within three days after the election;
  • the consent of the landowner or occupant is obtained;
  • such signs are not attached to fences, trees or utility poles;
  • and the sign indicates the name of the sponsor.

If you have information about a possible offence that you believe was committed under the Election Act, the Election Finances and Contributions Disclosure Act, the Local Authorities Election Act or the Alberta Senate Election Act you can submit your complaint to the Election Commissioner.

Use the Elections Alberta website to submit a complaint.