Here are the highlights from the June 14, 2022, Sturgeon County Council Meeting:
Proclamations and Recognition
Mayor Alanna Hnatiw made the following proclamations:
- June 21: National Indigenous Peoples’ Day
- June 27: Multiculturalism Day
Mayor Hnatiw also noted that Sturgeon County was the recipient of the “Alberta Trail Blazer” Award from the Alberta TrailNet Society.
Construction Contract Awards
Council approved the contracts for the following projects:
- Mill and overlay work to Central Civil Solutions Inc. at a contract price of $689,275. The work will take place on Range Road 244 from Hwy 37 south to County limits and on Starkey Road south from Sturgeon Road to the bridge.
- Road reconstruction and intersection improvements at Range Road 272 from Township 540 to Highway 633 to PME Inc. at a contract price of $2,068,704.
- Sturgeon Crest subdivision rehabilitation project to E. Construction Ltd. at a contract price of $988,088.
Offsite Levy Exemption Request Postponed
After considering a presentation made on May 24, Council postponed consideration of a off-site levy exemption request until the June 28 Council Meeting.
County seeks Intervenor Status on Assessment Complaints
Council authorized Administration to seek intervenor status with the Land and Property Rights Tribunal with respect to assessment complaints filed for two industrial properties. Having intervenor status will ensure the County is kept apprised of the status of the complaints, provide input to defend the assessment, as well as manage any potential impacts on current and future budgets depending on the outcome of the hearings.
Funding secured for Trestle Ridge Waterline
Council gave three readings of Bylaw 1602/22, authorizing Administration to borrow $232,772 to complete construction of a waterline to the Trestle Ridge subdivision. The cost of the project will be repaid by the benefiting property owners through a local improvement levy established by Bylaw 1599/22.
Villeneuve Airport Area – Area Structure Plan
Council gave first reading of Bylaws 1592/22 and 1593/22 which propose to amend the Municipal Development Plan and the Calahoo-Villeneuve Sand and Gravel Extraction Area Structure Plan respectively, as well as Bylaw 1594/22, which proposes a new Area Structure Plan (ASP) for the Villeneuve Airport Area. The ASP, if approved, will advance the goals, objectives, and aspirations of the Villeneuve Airport Area Master Plan (VAAMP) approved by Council in November 2021. As Council has given first reading to the bylaws, Administration will schedule public hearings for feedback from residents and other stakeholders.
Procedure Bylaw Amendments for Capital Committee and Council Budget Meetings
Council passed Bylaw 1596/22, which amends the Procedure Bylaw by requiring a “seconder” for motions that recommend or make a financial commitment in the Capital Committee and Council Budget Meetings. This amendment will help with meeting efficiency, particularly when there is a potential for a large volume of motions at these meetings.
There were three public hearings during the June 14 Council Meeting:
- Bylaw 1589/22 and 1590/22, which propose to amend the Subdivision Authority Bylaw and Development Authority Bylaw respectively by removing references to the Municipal Planning Commission (MPC).
- Bylaw 1591/22, which proposes to amend the Land Use Bylaw by removing references to the Municipal Planning Commission.
These bylaw amendments are required following Council’s decision to dissolve the MPC in February 2022, which, if the bylaws are passed, will come into effect on July 6, 2022.
- Bylaw 1597/22, which proposes to amend the Land Use Bylaw to include Diversified Agriculture within the AG – Agriculture District as a permitted use.
Council will consider the public feedback shared during the hearings when the bylaws come before Council at a future meeting.
Next Council Meeting
The next Sturgeon County Council meeting will be held at 9:00 a.m. on June 28, 2022.