Sturgeon County’s plan for the Villeneuve Airport area approved by EMRB following appeal by the County
Sturgeon County is looking forward to the future taking flight at the Villeneuve Airport, now that it’s development plan for the area has been approved by the Edmonton Metropolitan Region Board (EMRB).
The County appealed the EMRB’s earlier decision to reject its plan for the Villeneuve Airport area, on the basis of procedural fairness and discriminatory treatment. As part of the appeal process, a committee of elected officials reviewed the appeal submission and facilitated a resolution; the committee recommended the board immediately approve the County’s plan.
“This decision brings us one step closer to supporting new jobs and attracting new investment around the Villeneuve Airport,” said Mayor Alanna Hnatiw. “Our plan will provide opportunities for the partners involved with the Villeneuve Landing Network and for the region. The County looks forward to working with landowners and companies to position the area for long-term growth.”
On Sept. 15, the EMRB’s Dispute Resolution Committee recommended the EMRB immediately approve the Villeneuve Airport Area – Area Structure Plan (VAA–ASP). This comes as a result of the County’s appeal of the board’s April decision and reasons for rejecting the plan. The EMRB’s dispute resolution process was initiated for the first time in response to Sturgeon County’s appeal, and Sturgeon County will continue to contribute suggestions for improvements to the process overall.
Municipalities must refer new development plans to the EMRB – a requirement under the Municipal Government Act – so they can be evaluated for consistency with the EMRB’s Regional Growth Plan. Sturgeon County’s land use plan was and is fully consistent with the EMRB’s Regional Growth Plan.
- Dispute Resolution Committee recommendation
- County’s appeal
- Sturgeon County disappointed with regional vote limiting future growth and jobs, considering next steps (April 13, 2023)
- Sturgeon County resubmits plans to EMRB for lands around Villeneuve Airport (March 2, 2023)
- Sturgeon County to continue engaging regional partners on Villeneuve Airport area before presenting to EMRB (Dec. 7, 2022)
- Sturgeon County to present plans for Villeneuve Airport area to EMRB (Nov. 28, 2022)
- Villeneuve Airport Area Area Structure Plan (VAA-ASP)