South Dakota brothers drawn to Sturgeon County
Davidson family members have called an Alcomdale area farm home for 100 years.
And if Alan Davidson has his way, the historic property once broken by his great-grandfather will continue to provide a home for his relatives for generations to come.
The Davidson family was recently recognized as being a 100-Year Farm Family by Sturgeon County.
Their story began more than a century ago when Alan’s great-grandfather, William Davidson, a farmer, and cattle rancher in South Dakota made a trip through Canada in 1897-1898, according to family records.
Many people were heading north as part of the Gold Rush and William stopped in Edmonton where the railroad ended at that time. He discovered some land near Namao and made rental arrangements before heading back to South Dakota.
William and his brother, Ed, returned in the spring of 1899 and planted a crop. Ina, William’s wife, and May, Ed’s wife, and their children followed later.
Over the years, the brothers found a homestead east of Bon Accord and farmed there for several years. They also farmed in the Excelsior area. In 1923, William purchased a section of land from Luther Bacon located northwest of Morinville in the Alcomdale area. William and Mary lived there with their four children, Robert, Myron, Roy, and Laurie.
Eventually that section was divided with William retaining the northeast quarter, and three of his children, Robert, Myron, and Roy taking over the remainder of the land.
Laurie eventually inherited his father’s quarter. All the quarters remain owned by daughters and grandchildren of the original Davidsons.
Alan’s grandfather, Roy, received the southwest quarter. Roy later sold the land to his sons, Alvin (who was fondly known as Toad) and Don. The brothers farmed together for 26 years with their wives Janet and Vic, respectively, and their children. Toad continued to farm for an additional 30 years before Alan inherited the property.
Today, Alan continues to live on the property with his sons, while his daughters live nearby.
The Davidson farm