The Villeneuve Airport (ZVL) is a key regional economic asset. The land around the airport is primed to support billions in new investment and thousands of jobs.
The area has tremendous intermodal (road, rail and air) transportation networks, direct market access, affordable lease and purchased lands, water and other municipal servicing, fibre optic broadband connectivity, major events such as the Alberta International Airshow, and a base of successful airside and ground side businesses.
New investment is expected across many sectors including aviation and aerospace, defence, research and testing, advanced manufacturing, renewable energy, value-added agriculture, agri-innovation, and logistics. Recent economic studies predict the area will attract nearly $2 billion in new development and more than 1,700 new jobs in the initial development phases.
Sturgeon County’s plan for the area – Villeneuve Airport Area – Area Structure Plan (VAA-ASP) – supports and manages growth on the land around the Villeneuve Airport. The plan was developed in partnership with the Edmonton Regional Airport Authority and other stakeholders. It was approved on Oct. 10, 2023.
Municipal officials will confirm rates for offsite infrastructure costs, and will work with prospective investors to integrate their plans and specific interests.
The plan is a development framework that carries out the direction of the Villeneuve Airport Area Master Plan. The VAA-ASP creates future-ready development strategies and demonstrates a tenacious focus on local and regional economic growth and diversification.
- Sept. 15, 2023: Future to take flight in Villeneuve Airport area with regional approval of development plan
- April 13, 2023: Sturgeon County disappointed with regional vote limiting future growth and jobs, considering next steps
- March 2, 2023: Sturgeon County resubmits plans to EMRB for lands around Villeneuve Airport
- Dec. 7, 2022: Sturgeon County to continue engaging regional partners on Villeneuve Airport area before presenting to EMRB
- Nov. 28, 2022: Sturgeon County to present plans for Villeneuve Airport area to EMRB
- Aug. 24, 2022: Future takes Flight reaches another milestone