The County received grant funding from the Municipal Climate Change Action Centre’s Electric Vehicle Charging Program to purchase these chargers. The goal of the program is to support the installation of EV charging stations at municipal facilities and other non-profit organizations in Alberta.
The charging stations are Level 2, meaning they have 6.2 kW (30 amps) of charging capacity per unit. They are part of the FLO EV charging network and use a standard J1772 connector which has been adopted by most Canadian and American EV manufacturers for cross-compatibility.
Create a Flo EV charging account
- Download the Flo EV Charging app and create a new account or sign in as a guest using a listed partner account.
- Open the app and select the ‘Me’ icon on the bottom menu.
- Then select ‘My Wallet’ in the menu and follow the steps for adding funds to the account using a credit card.
- Users can now start a charging session using the Flo EV Charging app. (See Flo User Guide on how to start a charging session.)
- Optionally, users can select ‘Add Vehicle’ to enter your EV, make and model. This will ensure the vehicle is compatible with the charging station.
OPTIONAL – Ordering a Flo Access Card via mail ($15 Fee)
- Select the ‘Me’ icon at the bottom of the screen, then select ‘My Wallet’.
- The Flo Access card allows users to start charging without using the Flo App. Users simply need to tap this card at any Flo charging station to begin a charging session.
How to Use a Level 2 Flo charging station
Locate a charging station online or with the FLO EV Charging mobile app for iOS and Android.
- Activate the station. Place your card on the reader OR select the station in the FLO EV Charging mobile app and tap “Start a session”.
- Open the station’s door and pull out the connector.
- Plug the connector into your vehicle.
- Charging will start immediately.
- Once charging is complete, unplug the connector, replace it in its socket, and close the door.