The Tax Instalment Payment Plan allows property owners in Sturgeon County to pay their property tax in monthly instalments rather than a single payment.
It is best to sign up prior to January 1 each year, however, we have recently amended the Tax Instalment Payment Bylaw to accept applications year-round. This allows you to pay your taxes monthly rather than having to make a one time lump sum payment.
You can join the plan if:
- your tax account is not in arrears
- you have chequing privileges at a financial institution (bank, trust company, treasury branch or credit union)
- you do not currently pay your taxes through a mortgage company (P.I.T.)
No penalties or fees will be applied to current taxes if the taxpayer is approved for enrollment in TIPP and has arranged for payment using an Electronic Fund Transfer payment process.
How TIPP works
Depending on when the application is submitted and approved, Sturgeon County may require a partial payment of taxes or it will become effective the following year.
- Payments may only be made by automatic withdrawal from an account with chequing privileges at a financial institution.
- You must give written permission before the withdrawal will begin. We do not charge for this service; however, normal banking service charges may apply.
- The taxpayer shall notify Sturgeon County in writing 14 days before the next payment date if there is any change in bank account from which funds are to be transferred.
- Payments begin January 31 of the new year and continue each consecutive month. As long as there are sufficient funds to guarantee payment, no penalty will apply. Your current tax levy will be divided by 12 to establish your monthly payments for January to May.
- Your monthly payment will then be adjusted in June to compensate for changes resulting from the annual tax levy. Your annual tax bill, usually issued in April, will show the total amount of instalments to date and the calculation of the instalment payments for the remaining portion of the year.
To apply, simply fill out the Tax Instalment Payment Plan application and Pre-authorized Debit Form, and return it to our office, along with a sample cheque marked “VOID”.