Council held public hearings on two separate land use matters:
- Bylaw 1610/23 – Sturgeon Valley Core Infill Policy proposes to update the Sturgeon Valley Core Area Structure Plan (ASP) to clarify subdivision and infill densities. This ensures existing servicing infrastructure can support future development in the Sturgeon Valley Core and that development aligns with the original vision for the community. Council will consider public input and will make a decision at a future Council meeting.
- Bylaw 1613/23 – Amendment to Land Use Bylaw proposes to update the subdivision requirements for the Country Estate Residential district. This limits the subdivision of existing lots in the Valley Core so future subdivision aligns with planned infill densities and can be supported with existing servicing infrastructure. This change would impact other parcels districted as County Estate Residential, including in the Casa Vista and Northern Lights areas. Council will consider public input and will make a decision at a future Council meeting.
Proposed Land Use Bylaw Amendments
- Council gave second and third reading of Bylaw 1605/22. This bylaw is in response to an applicant’s request to redistrict a 5.13 acre parcel between Richfield Estates and Green Acres from Agriculture to Country Residential; this parcel is not viable for agricultural production. The bylaw received first reading in December and was subject to a public hearing in January.
- Council gave first reading of Bylaw 1616-23 – Civic Addressing Bylaw, which would replace the existing addressing bylaw approved in 1997. It proposes a new urban-style addressing system in the Sturgeon Valley South area while maintaining the rural addressing system in other areas, including in the Sturgeon Valley Core. This bylaw also proposes guidelines for displaying addresses, which helps emergency services navigate to emergency calls. Council will consider further readings of the bylaw at the Council meeting on March 14.In addition to giving first reading to Bylaw 1616-23 – Civic Addressing Bylaw, Council also directed Administration to draft a naming policy/strategy to guide the naming of neighbourhoods, roads, municipal assets and other infrastructure.
Deputy Mayor Appointment
Division One Councillor Dan Derouin was appointed and sworn in as Deputy Mayor. His term as Deputy Mayor is March 1 to Oct. 31, 2023.
Villeneuve Airport Area – Area Structure Plan (VAA ASP) referral to EMRB
Council directed Administration to resubmit the Villeneuve Airport Area documents to the Edmonton Metropolitan Region Board (EMRB) in accordance with the Regional Evaluation Framework process. Municipalities in the region must follow this process, which ensures plans are evaluated for consistency with the EMRBs Regional Growth Plan.
While no substantive changes or additions were made to the County’s application, the County addressed most items EMRB Administration previously considered to be inconsistent with the Regional Growth Plan.
Council accepted information from the Morinville RCMP and Redwater RCMP, which set the following RCMP priorities for Sturgeon County:
- Crime reduction
- Community engagement
- Public safety
Fast facts about land use bylaw amendments and public hearings:
- At Sturgeon County, before Council seeks public feedback on a proposed land use bylaw amendment, Council gives first reading of the proposed bylaw. This does not mean Council supports the bylaw, but that Council is agreeing for the proposed bylaw to proceed to the next stage of the bylaw process, being receipt of public feedback.
- Public hearings are open to any members of the public, but in considering feedback, Council must consider how and the degree to which the person making a written submission or speaking at a public hearing is affected by the proposal.
- Anyone wishing to provide comments on a proposed bylaw can submit them in writing in advance, attend the Council Meeting in person, or participate virtually.
- For more details and to register for a public hearing, call Legislative Services at 780-939-8277.
- Public hearings, along with other public notices, are posted on the Public Notices page on our website.
Next Council Meeting
The next Sturgeon County Council meeting will be held at 9:00 a.m. on March 14, 2023.