This is a re-opening of the public hearing initially held April 11, 2023.
Sturgeon County Council is requesting public input on proposed Bylaw 1609/23. This bylaw proposes the following:
- Create an urban reserve overlay that would apply to most land within the Sturgeon Valley South Area Structure Plan (ASP). This would allow for interim development while remaining consistent with the vision for the area.
- Create two new land use districts: IND – Integrated Neighbourhood District and CMUD – Commercial Mixed-Use District. These districts would apply to future development in the Sturgeon Valley South ASP area. They will guide the development of unique high-density communities in the area.
Since the initial public hearing on April 11, 2023, we’re proposing the following changes:
- Permits for residential development (including uses accessory to residential development) will not be time-limited.
- The urban reserve overlay will not apply to lands within the Sturgeon Valley South ASP identified for future agricultural use.
- The urban reserve overlay will apply to future road alignments.
- We will amend the subdivision regulations of the urban reserve overlay so subdivision of AG – Agriculture lands can still be considered as per the regulations of that land use district.
Public Hearing details
The Public Hearing will be held in person and via videoconference:
Tuesday, June 13, 2023, at 2:30 p.m. (or as soon as practical thereafter)
Sturgeon County Council Chambers (9613 100 St. in Morinville)
Important information about Public Hearings
Requirements for speakers
All speakers have five minutes to speak and are encouraged to provide a written copy of their submission before the Public Hearing.
Speaking in person
To speak at the Public Hearing in person, contact Legislative Services at 780-939-8279 or 780-939-8277 to pre-register.
Speaking via videoconference
To speak at the Public Hearing via videoconference, you must register by June 12 at 2:30p.m. by contacting Legislative Services at 780-939-8279 or 780-939-8277. This ensures you receive instructions to access the videoconference.
Email a written submission to Legislative Services. Written submissions are accepted up to the close of the Public Hearing.
If making a written submission, you must include your name, state your interest in the matter (such as a County resident directly impacted by the proposed bylaw), and indicate if you are in favour of or opposed to the proposed bylaw.
Watching the Public Hearing
You can view the Public Hearing in person or online at sturgeoncounty.ca/CouncilMeetings. To view the livestream, click on the meeting date on the calendar, then click on the video link.
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act: By submitting comments on this bylaw, either orally or in writing, the personal information you provide may be recorded in the minutes of the Public Hearing, or otherwise made public. This information is collected in line with section 33(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. If you have any questions, please contact the Sturgeon County Access and Privacy Officer at 9613-100 Street, Morinville, AB ,T8R 1L9, 780-939-4321 or email.