Reducing the risk of kitchen fires

Cooking fires are the cause of roughly 30 per cent of house fires in Canada. Most of these fires can be prevented.

  • Stay in the kitchen while you are cooking food. If you must leave the room – even for a short time – turn off any cooking appliance(s).
  • Keep anything that can catch fire – such as oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains – away from your cooking appliance(s).
  • Use a timer to remind you that you’re cooking.
  • Keep an oven mitt and pan lid nearby when cooking. If a small grease fire starts, slide the lid over the pan to smother the flame. Turn off the burner, and leave the pan covered until it is completely cool.
  • Have a “kid-free zone” of at least one metre (three feet) around the stove and areas where hot food or drinks are prepared or carried. This will reduce the risk of scald injuries.
  • Be alert when cooking; reconsider using cooking appliances if you are tired, have taken medicine or drugs that make you drowsy, or have consumed alcohol.
YouTube video

When there is a fire

  • Get out and stay out. Never go back inside for people, pets or belongings. Follow your household emergency plan and meet in a safe location outside of the home. If you have to escape through smoke, stay low to the ground.
    • If you can’t escape, close the door to the room you are in. Cover vents and cracks around doors with cloth or tape to keep smoke out.
  • Call 9-1-1 from a cell phone. Give the exact address of the fire and stay on the phone until the operator tells you to hang up.

Stop, drop and roll

If your hair or clothes catch on fire, STOP, DROP and ROLL.

  • STOP immediately! Do not run or try to take off your clothing
  • DROP to the ground as quickly and safely as possible. Use your hands to cover your face.
  • ROLL back and forth on the ground until the fire is out.

Only take the following actions if you are confident in your abilities to control a small fire. When in doubt, get out and call 9-1-1.

Small grease fire on stovetop

If you decide to fight a small grease fire on your stovetop, do the following:

  1. Slide a pan lid over the pan to smother the flame. Do not put water on the fire.
  2. Turn off the burner(s).
  3. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cool.

Oven fire

If there is a fire in your oven, do the following:

  1. Turn off the heat.
  2. Keep the oven door closed.
  3. If the fire does not go out, get outside and call 9-1-1 from outside the home.

Microwave fire

If there is a fire in your microwave, do the following:

  1. Keep the microwave door closed.
  2. Turn the microwave off.
  3. Unplug the microwave from the wall.
  4. If the fire does not go out, get outside and call 9-1-1 from outside the home.

#SturgeonCounty offices will be operating with reduced hours May 15, to accommodate a staff training event. Offices will re-open from 10:30 AM - 4:30 PM.

A fire restriction is in effect for Sturgeon County and the towns of Bon Accord, Legal and Redwater.

Scroll to Top