There are many achievements to be proud of, as we continue to advance Council’s Strategic Plan and make the County an internationally competitive and supportive municipality to locate and conduct business. Over the past year, we have continued to:
- Working with third-party experts, we are developing an updated Economic Development Strategy and associated Incentives Program.
- Passed the Major Investment Incentives Bylaw which includes incentives for Value-Added Agriculture and Solar Power Production.
- Developed and implemented an ongoing Defence Industry Investment Plan.
- Responded to a record number of requests for information and inquiries from potential developers and investment referral partners.
ENCOURAGE GROWTH & EXPANSION
- Identified and engaged Build-to-Suit medium industrial developers for near-term development opportunities in Sturgeon Industrial Park.
- Acquired sophisticated online mapping, site selection and data tools to highlight and promote Sturgeon’s advantages and enhance the availability of data for businesses – launching in 2023.
- Acquired the Triage BR+E program to obtain efficient and scientific insight into the health of the local business community – launching in 2023.
- Conducted business visits and surveys throughout the year to connect with local businesses, identify opportunity and barriers to growth.
SUPPORT LOCAL BUSINESS
- Welcomed 150 attendees to the Industrial Supply Chain Forum, which was hosted with partners (City of Fort Saskatchewan, Strathcona County, Fort Saskatchewan and Lamont Regional Chamber of Commerce and Sherwood Park and District Chamber Of Commerce).
- Attracted 2100 event goers to the Sturgeon County Bounty.
- Hosted 50 businesses at Small Business Week events, including the Regional Mighty Business Breakfast Bash and first annual Sturgeon County Small Business Appreciation Mixer.
- Enrolled 43 businesses into the Digital Economy Program, providing free digital marketing support and development.
- Promoted 34 regional businesses in the Shop the Season campaign.
CHAMPION THE COUNTY AS A CLEAN ENERGY ECOSYSTEM
- Completed preliminary work on 3 potential hydrogen demonstration projects, including Residential Home Heating, Rural School Bus, and Tractor Demos.
- Supported the development of the Industrial Heartland Designated Industrial Zone (IH-DIZ) pilot project being run by the Government of Alberta.
- Supported a team Alberta approach, with Alberta’s Industrial Heartland partners, during a trip to Ottawa in November to move our industry forward and grow our economy while achieving climate goals. Conversations about regulatory approval timelines, hydrogen exports, and more occurred with the Federal Government.
In 2023, we will continue to work with partners to secure investment and support County entrepreneurs and small businesses to start, grow and succeed. Follow along and engage with us on LinkedIn, Twitter, or by visiting sturgeoncounty.ca/economy-and-development.