Sturgeon County Council requests public input on proposed Bylaw 1632/23.
Sturgeon County is proposing updates to the Land Use Bylaw in response to public, Council and developer input. The changes include updates for clarity and efficiency, which will help the County provide improved customer service.
Proposed updates include the following:
- Adding definitions for terminology included in the Land Use Bylaw.
- Adding information to clarify the bylaw, such as noting that development must align with approved land use plans, adding that development decisions will be posted to the County website, and clarifying hazardous lands regulations.
- Changing site grading from a permitted use to a discretionary use on an interim basis while administration reviews site grading policy and regulations. This change means adjacent landowners are notified of proposed developments and have an opportunity to provide feedback.
- Requiring event venue operators to be onsite during events.
- Making amendments that improve efficiency, including allowing a dimensional tolerance of constructed buildings, allowing minor revisions to issued permits, and providing greater variance authority to avoid automatic refusal of applications.
- Providing clarity about when a proposed development is referred to Canadian Forces Base Edmonton for input.
A bylaw is needed to amend the existing Land Use Bylaw, and a public hearing must be held.
Each time land is redistricted, a bylaw is needed to amend the Land Use Bylaw, and a public hearing must be held.
Important information about Public Hearings
Requirements for speakers
All speakers have five minutes to speak and are encouraged to provide a written copy of their submission before the Public Hearing.
Speaking in person
To speak at the Public Hearing in person, contact Legislative Services at 780-939-8279 or 780-939-8277 to pre-register.
Speaking via videoconference
To speak at the Public Hearing via videoconference, you must register by January 29 at 1:30 p.m. by contacting Legislative Services at 780-939-8279 or 780-939-8277. This ensures you receive instructions to access the videoconference.
Email a written submission to Legislative Services. Written submissions are accepted up to the close of the Public Hearing.
If making a written submission, you must include your name, state your interest in the matter (such as a County resident directly impacted by the proposed bylaw), and indicate if you are in favour of or opposed to the proposed bylaw.
Watching the Public Hearing
You can view the Public Hearing in person or online at sturgeoncounty.ca/CouncilMeetings. To view the livestream, click on the meeting date on the calendar, then click on the video link.
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIP): By submitting comments on this bylaw, either orally or in writing, the personal information you provide may be recorded in the minutes of the public hearing, or otherwise made public. This information is collected in accordance with section 33(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. If you have questions, contact the Access and Privacy Officer at 780-939-4321 or firstname.lastname@example.org.